SCHEDULE: ( Madrid (Spain) time):
Friday, 13 October. 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Saturday, 14 October 04:30pm to 19:30 and from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Sunday. 15 October 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
LANGUAGE during the course: English.
I’m an illustrator interested in children’s books, magazines and more.
For this workshop I thought it would be awesome to create a mock
cover page from ones imagination.
* I’ll be drawing with you guys, and sharing my process from start to
finish as if I’d be working on an actual cover.
* Please note that all questions are welcome!
Introduction: My art journey, obstacles, and now!
Introduction to Children’s Illustration: Portfolio requirements, visual
development, and where to start.
Project Introduction: Ideation, and Narrative
Visual Development: Characters [Narrative, Shape Exploration,
Expression], Props, Environment, etc.
Introduction to Composition: Putting your prep work together to
create a composition. [Ideation sketches, perspective tips, angle tips,
leading the eye, and more!]
Understanding Cover Specs: Bleed, margins, text, what to do and
what to watch out for when designing a cover.
Building Your Chosen Composition: Line work, details, storytelling,
placing your character, finalizing your lined illustration
Introduction to Choosing your Colours: Choosing a colour palette
that suits what you’re trying to evoke, Analogous V.S Complimentary
colours, and priming colours.
Base Colours: Applying your base colours, applying light and
shadows and proper tonal values.
Finalizing your base: Cleaning up for the rendering.
Introduction to Rendering: Understanding brushes, textures and
patterns. [I’ll show you how to create your own brush on Procreate].
Base Rendering: Cleaning, Layer Styles, Gradients, and Scribbles.
Final Rendering: Applying textures, patterns and final touches!
Adding the Title: How to place a title, or create a title for your cover.
* This process will take a long time, but at this point you will have a
good amount of visual development for your portfolio, a beautiful
selection of sketches, a finished illustration, or a wonderful mock
cover page that you can include in your portfolio.
* I will answer any question during these sessions, so don’t be shy to
ask. If you’re too shy to speak out loud, you can email me and I will
answer before and after the workshop.
* I will be looking at everyone’s work before and after workshop hours
and will communicate feedback through email.
A tablet (iPad, Wacom, or any other drawing tablet)
A sketchbook, a good quality paper of choice, and your choice of
traditional media! *You will need a light coloured marker, or
watercolour for one exercise.
What happens if I can’t see the classes live one day?
• No problem. All classes are live but will also be recorded and posted on our platform. So you can see them whenever you want throughout the duration of the course. This means that if you cannot attend your class live at the stipulated time, you will be able to see them on the platform until the end of the course. These video-classes posted on the platform can be viewed unlimitedly during the duration of the course but cannot be copied or downloaded. They can also be viewed for 6 months once the course is over.
When can I see the classes I did not attend live?
• 24-hour access to the virtual platform where you can consult all the information or documentation of the course, access all the classes that have already been taught or the proposed exercises. When, where and at the rate you want.